History of The WAC Foundation
This building is dedicated to the advancement of the amateur athletic and social activities of Seattle and the Pacific Northwest.
When the Washington Athletic Club opened in 1930, it stood as Seattle’s third-tallest building. From its art deco design to its classic tiered structure, the original clubhouse plays a significant role in Seattle’s early architectural history and still cuts an impressive figure in the city’s dense skyline. The original building and a later 12-story addition continue to serve WAC members and the Seattle community more than 90 years later.
The original clubhouse joined the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. Shortly thereafter, the WAC Foundation was introduced. The Foundation’s singular purpose is to preserve and enhance the WAC Clubhouse. Funds raised by the Foundation go directly to clubhouse improvements.
The Foundation reached $500,000 in total donations and pledges during the summer of 2021. Donations are always being accepted, and Clubhouse improvement projects are constantly being planned and executed.