Pooling Our Resources
Swimmers just learning to tread water and triathletes training for the next adventure all take to the waters of our Helene Madison Pool where Olympic legends have been born. If that’s not enough inspiration, you’ll be lured by an architecturally stunning exterior that follows your every stroke. Underwater and unbeknownst to you, the water circulates with technological precision.
Lap Swim and Family Swim times are available every day, so there is always time for fitness or fun.
WAC Swim School
The WAC aquatic staff offers lessons designed to suit anyone’s needs, regardless of ability. Whether you cross-train or learn to swim, the pool offers something for everyone.
- $60 first child per session
- $40 second child per session in same activity
- Ages 17 and under
- Lesson space is limited. Classes are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Register for Junior Swim Lessons »
*This link takes you to the aquatics calendar. Once you are there, click on the first day of lessons to sign up for Junior Swim classes.
- Junior Swim Level Descriptions »
Winter: January 10 – February 21 | Registration begins 12/29
Spring I: March 7 – April 18 | Registration begins 2/23
- Joints in Motion »
Monday and Wednesday, 10:30-11am
Water creates resistance, which increases strength and heart rate. Joints in Motion moves participants through gentle range-of-motion, joint-mobility and flexibility exercises.
- Deep Water Fitness »
Using fitness disciplines, this class offers a safe and challenging water-based workout that includes cardio conditioning and body toning.
- Aqua Boot Camp »
A high intensity, low impact workout for athletes and non-athletes alike who want a tough workout without the aggravating knee, hip and other injury-prone joints.
- Get Fit Water Aerobics »
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 11-11:45am
A low-impact, fun and invigorating workout. Make new friends and stay in shape using the water’s non-weight-bearing quality.
- Age Group Swim Team »
A competitive team that emphasizes stroke development, conditioning and preparation for competition.
- Masters Swim Team »
Adult swimmers participate in organized workouts to enhance endurance and improve stroke technique.
- Schedule »
- Swim Team Form »
Private Swimming Lessons
The WAC offers private swim instruction to give you the specialized attention you need. Whether you are looking to develop comfort in the water or refine your stroke, our highly trained instructors will work with you to create a lesson that meets your individual needs.
Lessons are scheduled by your instructor, and generally take place during family swim times. Call the pool or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
Birthday party, special occasion, or just want to have fun? The Helene Madison Pool is available for private rental after hours on Saturday and Sunday. Want to do more than swim? Give the Sports Café a call and leave the party planning to us!
For rental availability contact Anne Marie in the Sports Café. 206.464.2809.
ADULT SWIM LESSONS [Ages 18+]
Call 206.464.3086 to register or email email@example.com.
This class is for adults who have limited experience in the water. Skills covered include:
- Comfort and confidence in shallow and deep water
- Movement of the front and back crawl
- Introduction to breaststroke and butterfly
- Gaining endurance to swim laps
- Mondays 1:30–2:30pm
- $60 for four-week session
This class is for adults who are able to swim laps and have a basic knowledge of all four primary strokes. This is a great precursor to joining the WAC Masters Swim Team. Attention will be dedicated to:
- Refining stroke technique
- Breath control
- Starts and turns
- Endurance work
- Improving triathlon training
- Wednesdays 2:30–3:30pm
- $60 for four-week session
WAC Swim School Level Descriptions
Tiny Tots (ages 6 months to 3 years)
- Tiny Tots A (ages 6–20 months): Infants learn water-adjustment techniques and basic water skills. Each child must be accompanied by at least one adult in class.
- Tiny Tots B (ages 21–36 months): Toddlers learn water adjustment, water skills and introduction to swimming. Each child must be accompanied by at least one adult in class.
Preschool (ages 3–5)
- Preschool 1: Brand new swimmers
- Preschool 2: Comfort in the water with an instructor, but minimal independent swim skills. Learning breath control, and swimming on front and back with help.
- Preschool 3: Swimming 3 yards on front and back. Good breath control. Establishing foundations for crawlstroke and elementary backstroke.
- Preschool 4: Swimming 7 yards on front and back. Comfort in deep water. Technical foundations for breaststroke, crawlstroke and elementary backstroke.
Youth (ages 6 and up)
- Level 1: Beginners or those learning comfort in the water with an instructor. Minimal independent swim skills. Learning breath control, and swimming on front and back.
- Level 2: Swimming 5 yards on front and back. Good breath control. Establishing foundations for crawlstroke and elementary backstroke.
- Level 3: Swimming 10 yards crawlstroke . Comfort in deep water. Technical foundations for breaststroke, crawlstroke and elementary backstroke.
- Level 4: Swimming 13 yards crawlstroke with side breathing. Endurance to swim the length of the pool on front and back. Developing technique for butterfly and backstroke.
- Level 5: Swimming all 4 race strokes (crawlstroke, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly) 13-25 yards refining coordination. Fundamental understanding of stroke mechanics.
- Level 6: Swimming all 4 race strokes (crawlstroke, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly) 25-50 yards with refined technique. Developed understanding of stroke mechanics, turns and dives.
- Foundations Approaching Swim Team: Focused on building endurance, refining the four primary strokes and introducing starts and turns.
Tiny Tots, preschool classes, levels 1–3 and private lessons are 30 minutes long. Levels 4–6 & fast are 40 minutes long. Foundations Approaching Swim Team is 40 minutes long.
Children must be on a family membership to participate in any WAC Junior Classes.back to top