WAC kids have a host of activities that are sure to get them moving and motivated. We feel that sports and recreation are an essential part of a child’s development. Opening minds, inspiring creative thinking and decision-making, and building team spirit go hand-in-hand with just letting kids be kids and have fun. We’ve helped so many children (adults, too!) learn to swim with group and private lessons through the Red Cross. And we’ve given so many children lots to smile about, throwing countless birthday parties in our Pool. It’s a lot for WAC families to get excited about.
Follow along in the path of generations of WAC families who learned to swim in the Helene Madison Pool. Swimming is a sport your son and daughter can use all of their lives. Breathe easy knowing your children are in the safest and most capable hands with our Aquatics Team.
American Red Cross Swim Lessons
- $60 first child per session
- $40 second child per session in same activity
- Ages 17 and under
- Lesson space is limited. Classes are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Winter I: January 11 – February 22
Tiny Tots (ages 6 months to 3 years)
- Tiny Tots A (ages 6–20 months): Infants learn water-adjustment techniques and basic water skills. Each child must be accompanied by at least one adult in class.
- Tiny Tots B (ages 21–36 months): Toddlers learn water adjustment, water skills and introduction to swimming. Each child must be accompanied by at least one adult in class.
Preschool (ages 3–5)
- Guppy: Minimum age 3. Beginner level. Parents are not in water with participants.
- Jellyfish: High comfort level in the water. Able to submerge head and blow bubbles. Able to float on back with assistance.
- Sea Turtle: Able to swim 5 feet on front and back independently. Able to submerge head for 3 seconds while blowing bubbles.
- Starfish: Able to swim pool width on front and back independently; comfortable with face in the water.
School Age (ages 6 and up)
- Level 1: Beginner level.
- Level 2: Able to swim 5 feet on front and back independently. High comfort level in water; able to submerge head for 3 seconds while blowing bubbles.
- Level 3: Able to swim pool width on front and back independently; comfortable with face in the water.
- Level 4: Able to swim two widths each front and back crawl; perform kneeling dive; tread water.
- Level 5: Able to swim one length each front and back crawl in good form, tread water for two minutes and perform a standing dive, deep water bobbing, the scissors kick and the whip kick.
- Level 6/7: Able to swim two lengths each front and back crawl; one length each breaststroke and sidestroke; one length dolphin kick; open turns on front and back.
- Foundations Approaching Swim Team: Focused on building endurance, refining the four primary strokes and introducing starts and turns.
Tiny Tots, preschool classes, levels 1–3 and private lessons are 30 minutes long. Levels 4–7 are 40 minutes long.
Saturday Junior Classes are offered in six-plus-week sessions September to June. Parents welcome.
Next session begins March 8
- $60 first child per session; $40 each additional child in the same activity
- Adults $8 per class, $6 with enrolled child or free with Fitness Advantage
- Register by phone: 206.622.7900 ext 4086
Family Judo Fun
The martial art of judo is a special form of wrestling emphasizing throws and grappling techniques. Traditions, discipline, respect and mental training are a few of its benefits. Instructor Al Alexander will teach traditions, discipline, respect and mental training benefits. Channel that excess energy into a great skill.
- Wednesdays: 6:30–8:30 pm and Saturdays: 9:30–11:30 am
- Ages 7+;
- 4th Floor; Studio B
With Tom Tanaka’s expert instruction and experience, learn the basic karate punches and strikes, along with endurance, discipline and listening skills.
- Ages 5–8: Saturdays 10:15–11 am
- Ages 9+: Saturdays 11 am–12 pm, Adults welcome
- 8th Floor; Functional Training Room A
Join Will Hicks, WAC Personal Trainer, for new high-energy fitness sessions with lots of fun. This four-week series will introduce kids to introduce kids to exercise and the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.
- Wednesdays 3-4 pm; Saturdays 12-1 pm
- 4-week series: $120 2x/week; $72 1x/week; $20 Drop In
- 8th Floor; Ages10-14; Functional Training Room A
Basketball Camps: Saturday Junior Basketball
Learn the game of basketball from Husky legend and professional basketball player, Donald Watts. Come out and learn basketball fundamentals, basic rules to the game and have fun shooting hoops. For the experienced hoopsters, let Coach Watts give you the tools you need to play quicker, stronger and smarter.
- Saturdays: Sign up for 7 weeks for $105; $20 Drop In.
- Ages 5-9: 9–10 am
- Ages 9-13: 10–11 am
- Personal Training: 11–noon
Children must be on a family membership to participate in any WAC Junior Classes.
Watts Basketball Personal Training
One-on-one or group training. . Watts Basketball offers Small Group and Semi-Private training to fine-tune skills for both high school and college basketball. Receive a full assessment and be informed on what needs work, where you excel, and what the varsity coaches are looking for in a player. We have worked with both high school and college coaches to put together a program that will give players a jump-start on the rest of the competition. Contact us for pricing and available times at the WAC.back to top