By Eric Chen, WAC Nutritionist and Wellness Coach
The tasty fat-filled avocado is one of the most unique fruits in the world. The avocado has become a superfood over the last decade and is still gaining popularity because of its great taste and impressive nutrient profile. Packed with fiber and healthy fats, the avocado is also rich in B vitamins, Vitamin K, E, and C, potassium, and copper. Regular consumption of this green fruit has been associated with improved heart disease risk factors like lower total and LDL cholesterol as well as improved HDL levels. The use of avocado oil can also aid in reducing arthritis symptoms. Here are a few tips and a great guacamole recipe to help you can bump up your avocado intake!
- Topper: Add a couple of slices of avocado to your omelet or on a piece of whole grain toast for extra flavor and texture!
- Bulk up your salads: Add a quarter of an avocado to your salad. The healthy fats and fibers will keep you satiated longer.
- Stuff them! Slice an avocado in half and remove the pit. Now you have two edible bowls ready to be filled. Fresh crab or tuna salad works great.
- Smoothies: Add some avocado to your favorite green smoothie for creamy texture
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 serrano chile, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 ripe Hass avocados
- 2 limes, juiced
Pulse the onion, Serrano, cilantro, and salt in a food processor or blender. Scoop the flesh of the avocados into a bowl, add blended aromatics and lime juice, and smash to combine. Use a whisk to create a smooth but still texture-rich guac.
—Published May 3, 2017